Sunday, April 6, 2014

They Fled

After the horrendous scene we wrote about yesterday (Judas’ betrayal and the arrest of Jesus), verse 56 in Matthew 36 says,

“Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.”

I don’t know about you, but I’ve never experienced every single friend I have deserting me.  Even the person in the drive-thru greets me with a smile every time I show up for food.

However, the men Jesus led to follow him, those who were chosen to learn from him, fled – perhaps out of fear – when the situation looked scary.

Maybe these men were afraid they too would be arrested, so they disappeared. I’m sure they thought if they were arrested with Jesus, for following Jesus, they too would die on a cross right next to him.  So they ran.

There is nothing on this earth worse than losing everything and standing alone, about to die, with no one around.  I can’t imagine the grief or the pain.  I can’t imagine that Jesus didn’t run away with his friends, or call those angels from heaven to come down…

But he didn’t.

He was arrested and led to slaughter…because he loves you and me.


No comments:

Post a Comment