Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Denial

The last part of Matthew 26 relays the story of Peter’s denial of Jesus.  I’ve seen this scene many times in a movie where Peter is approached three times:

“You also were with Jesus…”

“This fellow was with Jesus…”

“Surely you are one of them…”

Peter was scared to be associated with the man who was about to be crucified.  He wanted no part of what was about to go down, so he even cursed and replied,

“I don’t know the man!”

It was then that the rooster crowed and Peter remembered Jesus had told him this entire scene before it happened.  Peter then went out and “wept bitterly.”

I’ve been in crowds, had opportunities to share, experienced the presence of the Lord, and known his ways.  And yet, fear overtakes me and I’m remain silent or fail to answer those who are questioning me.

I’m not sure why the bible singles out Peter’s denial more than the other disciples, but it’s a story that once we’ve heard it – we never forget it.

It was obvious to those around Peter that he had been with Jesus.  

Do we want it to be obvious that we’ve been with Christ?  If so, then we must be ready to answer “Yes, I was with him.”

Do you know Him? What will your answer be...


No comments:

Post a Comment