Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Open Mouths

Ah, Proverbs 31, that chapter that women avoid because it describes this perfect woman – or so it seems – that we can never be.  Here’s one verse from this powerful chapter:
She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
I know that in my life my mouth has opened too many times and said many other things than those words that are wise.  In fact, I’ve let judgment, anger, criticism, doubt, and a lot of unwise things fly off my tongue in a fit of mistrust and fear.
Like we mentioned yesterday, it probably doesn’t matter how kind we are to our kids, if what we're speaking is full of untruth and contrary to His word.
And it probably won’t matter if everything I speak is eloquent and pure and wise, if I then turn around and say unkind things with the same tongue.
What a complicated mess we are!
But because God tells us to hold onto truth and kindness, it must be possible to do so.  The wonderful thing is that when we let go of either, he is waiting to place them back around our necks, just for the asking.

That’s the kindness and truth of the living God we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment