Monday, May 11, 2015

A Mystery

I Corinthians 15 cont’d:
Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.  For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.
Do you like mysteries?  I love reading them and watching them on the big screen, and trying to figure out who did it, or what’s going to happen next. 
But here we are told of a mystery no man can fathom, explain, or figure out. 
In a split second (I’m not sure what that is, exactly, but it’s fast) we will transform from this perishable body in which we now live to an imperishable spirit.  And it’s all going to start with the sound of a trumpet.  Those who are dead will be raised and put on immortality.
We love superheroes who defy gravity, who have extreme powers, and who can transform in a flash when a city is in distress.  We have no problem imagining how fun it would be to live among such amazing men and women.
But all of those movies are fantasy.
The change and transformation that is coming to those who believe in Jesus is not fantasy – it’s real – and it’s excitingly mysterious. 
We will be changed.  Through no effort of our own, but simply because we believe and trust in God and all of his goodness in our lives, and his forgiveness on the cross.

I’m curious when the trumpet will sound, what it will sound like, and if I’ll hear it.  I hope I’m tuning my spiritual ears so that I will hear it loud and clear and be among those who take flight to the imperishable kingdom that lives and never dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment