Tuesday, March 31, 2015

One of These

Matthew 6:28,29 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.

Jesus asks again, the same thing he asked before, about clothing.  Isn’t that interesting?

I really don’t know too many people that worry about clothing, exactly.  Of course, I’m sure there are many people who do, but I would guess that’s not one of their biggest worries.  But what if Jesus is talking here about covering, that which identifies and presents who we are, to others?

Now that, people worry about.  

We worry about how others will perceive us, about the image we present, and about whether or not we’re doing a good job of covering up all of those things we don’t want others to see – those private things.

This time, instead of looking at the birds, Jesus now turns our attention to flowers – lilies in particular. Lilies are striking, fragrant flowers.  Did you know that oil extracted from a lily has healing properties?

Jesus says to look at them.  Observe them.  Even in all of their beauty (which they do not achieve through any effort of their own), Jesus says that Solomon – a king with a wealthy kingdom – didn’t even compare to the beauty of this flower.

What this says to me is that all of the things I worry about underneath my own coverings of identity, presentation, and intellect that I present to others who outwardly see me is not the clothing I am to be concerned about. Jesus wants me to be covered and clothed with his provision, his beauty, his fragrance, and his healing properties….

Wow.  I’m sitting here soaking in this thought…will you soak with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment