Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wiser Still


January 28, 2013

From the time children learn to walk, they are letting go of your hand, pushing it away, and saying (without words) “Leave me alone.  I can walk now. Let me go.”  But of course, we can’t let them go.  We have to hold their hands, instruct them on safety, discipline them in obedience…so that one day they can go…and live a blessed adult life.

Proverbs says if we instruct the wise…they will be wiser still.  And if the righteous are teachable…they will add to their learning.

Throughout each stage in childhood, our children test us.  They don’t want to be told how to hold the bat correctly to hit the ball.  They just want to win the game.  However, wisdom is listening, observing, and receiving instruction on how to play so that we CAN win.  Even as adults sometimes, we think we’ve “arrived” in our walk with God, and we know all there is to know.  However, if we continue to be teachable we can always grow.

Every decade, I think I’m still learning wisdom and growing in righteousness.  At least I hope that’s the state of my heart at all ages.  It’s easy throughout the course of a day to pick up random thoughts, harbor a grudge, or slip and say something rude.  It’s prudent to sit at His feet in the evening and listen to His thoughts, let him heal the hurt, and forgive the hurt that was done. 

Lord, instruct me and teach me…always.

No comments:

Post a Comment