Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Generous Person


January 30, 2013

Proverbs 11:25 says this, “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.”

I’ve given to others in all sorts of moods.  I’ve given grudgingly, out of guilt, because I was afraid God would be mad at me if I didn’t give.  I’ve given, hoping secretly that God will give back to me, as I give.  And I’ve given out of a pure heart at times, simply being moved by compassion.

I’ve also seen some people who give and give, with no or little visible reward.  And I’ve seen some who give be taken advantage of, and just totally exhausted, as they pour out their time and efforts…for what seems to be so little in return.

So just what is a generous person and how can we give and end up refreshed…instead of depleted?

A generous person knows she has plenty to give (because she knows her Father owns it all) so therefore; as she gives, she’s not secretly thinking about what she’s losing…but rather about pleasing the One who gave it all to her.  And to end up refreshed instead of depleted requires wisdom.  When we give, we must let it go completely and not look for a return, not look to see that what we gave was used wisely, or any other such stipulation.  We simply listen, obey, and give. 

Then we prosper.  Then we are refreshed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment