Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lying



January 21, 2013

A lying tongue – the second thing in the list that God abhors.

Again, I can’t help but think of the interview with Lance Armstrong, which was on television this week.  He admitted to blatantly and defiantly lying about the doping accusations made against him.  It seemed easy and he even believed what he was doing was “okay.”  He was motivated to win, at all costs.

I think about what motivates us to lie.  Any time our character or decisions we’ve made are attacked or questioned, we often come back with a lie – to defend ourselves.  And lying is so tricky and sneaky, it starts with lying to ourselves that what we’re lying to others about is okay – it’s understandable – because we’ve got to save face.

I’ve been guilty of a lying tongue.  Even when I was a small child, I lied to my dad for fear of his disapproval.  The only thing was – he knew I was lying – and I was then punished.  Not for the action I did, but for lying about it and saying I didn’t do it.

A lying tongue breeds mistrust in the one lied to – forever.  It’s hard to gain that trust back – ever.

Lord, help us to hate the lying tongue as much as you do – and to stand on the truth about who we are in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment