Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Breath

Today I’m starting a new study on the word “breath” or “breathe.”  There’s a song we sing that says “Breathe on me…” asking the Holy Spirit to breathe on us.  That sort of sounds spooky and weird to me, so I want to look up verse and see why in the world I would ask to be breathed upon…
Will you join me?
The first mention of this word is in Genesis 2:7
Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Wow. Our first encounter with God is having him breathe on us – in fact – breathe into our bodies the breath of life.
It is his breath that enabled us to becoming a living being.
What sustains our heart and keeps it beating?  The breath of God.
What wakes us up each morning after sleeping all night? The breath of God.
God formed us out of dust and then breathed on us – and we didn’t blow away!  We became people formed into his image to bear his resemblance and his name.

I think this is going to be a great study…

No comments:

Post a Comment