Friday, April 5, 2013

Wise in Heart


“The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin.” (Proverbs 10:8)

I’m writing all about foolishness this month, something I don’t ever think I’ve heard addressed in a sermon…

Have you ever tried to talk to someone, but she doesn’t keep quiet long enough to listen to you?  In fact, you can see in her eyes that she’s thinking of what she’s going to say next, and she’s not even hearing what you have to say.  That person probably has been labeled a “chatterbox.”

A chatterbox might be cute as a toddler, but an adult chatterbox – it seems no one wants to be around her.  Constant chatter leaves no time for listening.

This verse says the wise in heart accept commands, and since this phrase precedes the part about chattering, I conclude that the wise in heart also know when to stop speaking in order to listen.

I’ve been known to be a chatterbox in my prayers.  I go on and on with complaints, requests, and questions as I’m talking to God and I get up from praying – never listening to what He might have to say to me.

Lord, grant me wisdom to be quiet and listen…and accept your instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment