Friday, April 12, 2013

What are You?


“Whoever heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.” (Proverbs 10:17)

I used to tell my kids that I wanted them to be a thermostat – not a thermometer.  I meant I wanted them to set the tone (temperature) for the atmosphere where they live.  In other words, if they obey and do what’s right they lead those around them in the same path.  On the contrary, if they are a thermostat (they just read the temperature – whatever it is) they will go up and down with whatever comes their way.

This verse states the same thing. If we follow Christ we show the way toward life.  But if we ignore what we know to be right, we not only go up and down ourselves, but we lead those around us astray. 

What a sobering verse that makes us realize the power over those around us. 

Are you a thermostat or a thermometer?  

No comments:

Post a Comment