Sunday, October 18, 2015

Yes, You Did

The second mention of laughter is that from Sarah, Abraham’s wife, when she heard the news that she was going to bear a child in her old age.
It’s found in Genesis 18: So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, “After I am worn out and my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure?” Then the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really have a child, now that I am old?’ Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.” Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But he said, “Yes, you did laugh.”
This time, Sarah’s laughter was not one of joy or mirth, but rather one of disbelief and mocking. In other words, there’s another side to laughter and that is to make fun of or ridicule.  And because of the Lord’s reaction to her (as he knew her heart), we know this laughter was that kind.
Look at God’s response to her unbelief.
“Is anything too hard for the Lord?”
She then realized God know her heart and she lied and said she did not laugh.
I didn’t realize these were the first two mentions of laughter in the bible, and what a lesson to be learned!  When God makes promises to us and even reminds us to believe when all seems impossible, we have two choices.
We can laugh in joy and expectation, or we can laugh in mockery and unbelief.
And God will know which response is ours. 
I want to be found laughing in joy at God in all of his amazing glory when he comes to me to fulfill that which he has promised.



No comments:

Post a Comment