Saturday, April 11, 2015

Boasting

I recently listened to a Chris Tomlin song about boasting only in the cross.  It’s a very beautiful worship song, so I decided to study “boast” in the bible.  Boasting can be a good thing, depending on what we’re boasting about.  Or it can lead to our demise, if we’re boasting in things or people who are sure to fail.

In Judges 7, we read the story of Gideon, where God told him this,

You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.

What an interesting story we read, as God whittles down Gideon’s army to almost nothing – and yet a huge victory takes place.

Sometimes, we think God is against us when things around us are falling apart and we are losing all of “our” strength, when in fact, God is up to something miraculously wonderful if we will just stand still, seek him, obey his voice, and boast in Him.


God loves us too much to allow us to become arrogant in our own strength, because he knows we will be disappointed before long.  He wants us to achieve victory in His strength, because it’s the kind of strength that endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment