Friday, May 9, 2014

Pure Joy

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

I’ve considered trials learning experiences, phases I have to endure, and lessons I need to learn…but joy?  Really?

One commentary calls the trials “exercises.” 

So does an athlete who gets up early in the morning to run miles and miles until he can barely walk, all for the training of a race, so that he can win, count it all joy?  I’m thinking the kinds of athletes that win do.

I exercise because I know it’s healthy, and some exercise is joyful when I have water, the right shoes, and the appropriate clothes.  But that’s the kind of exercise I choose to do in my own timing and at my own leisure.

But trials that come in my life to exercise my faith always seem to leave me ill-equipped to handle.

The truth of the matter is I am equipped, and I do have all I need, and there is an end result of winning a race.

So what’s the problem?

Trials hurt and stir up emotions.  And that kind of pain runs deep.  And joy seems elusive or downright gone.

But if his word says to consider it “pure” joy then it must be available.  And pure stuff is always the most potent!


Are you going through a trial?  Ask him for joy.  Because you know good stuff is being produced in you as you are tested to exercise your faith.  Your heart muscles will hurt and stretch, but my, oh my, they will be strong and vibrant when the trial is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment