Saturday, May 31, 2014

Don't You Know?

James 4 cont’d:
You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Yesterday we wrote about quarrels and conflicts and how they lead to murder – killing relationships and the spirits of those with whom we argue.  And at the end of the passage it said that we don’t have because we don’t ask.

And here in this passage it says when we do ask, we don’t receive.  Why?

I’ve prayed plenty of times with wrong motives. I’ve asked for blessings above and beyond what I need so that I will feel good about myself, because I see things others have and wonder why I can’t have them, or because my worth and self-identity is wrapped up in what I think I need to be fulfilled.  And sometimes, even when I’ve gotten what I prayed for, I’m still dissatisfied.

“Friendship with the world” is when we want to hang out, be like, and fit in with the culture in which we live.  The world lives for the moment, seeks sensual pleasures, and delights in being on top – above everyone else.  And that sort of friendship is not healthy…or wise.

If fitting in with our culture and the ways of those who don’t even seek God is our motive when we pray, or if this idea of having it all at any cost motivates us to quarrel and stir up conflict, this passage states we ourselves make ourselves…

an enemy of God.

And that means we are fighting against the very nature God has instilled in us when we invited him in to be Lord & Savior – the nature of humility, servanthood, giving, and love toward others. 

We’re in a war against the lust of the world.  But because of the Holy Spirit living inside us, we have already won.  IF we choose to surrender to his bidding daily.

Our eyes, our ears, our mouths, our hands, and even our sense of smell – all of the things by which we take in our surroundings – must be tuned in to what He sees, hears, tastes, handles and senses.


That kind of life is the only kind of life that satisfies and results in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment