Wednesday, November 25, 2015

He Rested

Genesis 2:1,2
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
By the seventh day he rested from all his work. Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
I read in a commentary that God didn’t rest here because he was weary.  He rested because he was pleased with all that he had done.  Isn’t that awesome?
There’s no greater rest than to be in his image, walk in his light, rule over that which he has given us, produce and enjoy the provision that is ours, and then to rest from our work in His presence, knowing He is pleased with us and we are pleased to be with Him.
God blessed this 7th day and made it holy.  I imagine he sat and looked at the “vast array” of what he had just flung into the sky in perfect order – the stars, the sun, the moon – and what he had brought up from the ground to roam the earth – the birds, the beasts, and all of the animals.  He then observed the beauty of the waters and the sky, and he sighed at the completion of male and female, the ones he chose to inhabit and dwell with and converse with every morning and every evening (remember those intimate terms?)
I believe in resting, but it’s hard for me to do so. Unless I put down my phone, lay aside what I’m doing, and look out my window, I fail to see the beauty of what God has done, and I miss the opportunity to reflect on his goodness in my life.
Rest with God. Rest in His presence. Enjoy and be amazed at all He has done.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve...


No comments:

Post a Comment